Wednesday, September 20, 2006

What Do I Do?

Let me start with what I don't do!

I do not offer dramatic readings. You will not see me in front of a crowd with a book in my hand. It's funny, this is actually a hard concept for some to grasp. I can't tell you how many times a year people tell me, "Oh, I really enjoy your readings." I have to chuckle, what else can I do?

I think part of the confusion stems from folks not knowing how to describe what they have experienced. One 4th grader put it to me this way,
"When you were talking, I felt like I was watching a movie!"


You see, if I am doing my job well, I disappear as the story evolves and your mind is filled with imagery tailor-made for you by your life's experiences. It's a public performance art with deeply intimate impact. It's a life skill with incredible communicative powers. It's just plain fun.

Quite simply, I tell stories. Yet, there is so much more to it than that!

Essentially my involvement with storytelling can be broken into four parts.

Performance

Education

Production

Advocacy

My next few posts, I will spend some time exploring each part.

No comments:

Post a Comment